Friday 7 April 2017

Brilliance of QR Codes


QUICK RESPONSE CODE (QR Codes)



Image result for qr code on a chocolate bar



So yesterday my work colleague and I was standing in a line at the local Shoprite store. We were chatting and she asks me, do you want a chocolate. I said yes, of course (how could I even refuse?) and then she looks at me and shows me the QR Code that’s on the chocolate bar, saying that these little barcodes are everywhere, these days. You, know it was at this minute that I felt that I needed to, so kindly use this opportunity/moment to look smart and bragg about ‘my new found knowledge’ on QR Codes that I recently learnt about in class. However, I was a tad bit disappointed in myself that I did not have my smartphone with me so that I could have used my i-nigma code reader app (in order to scan the QR code) to look even more brilliant and smart in front of my work colleague 😞

MORE ABOUT QR CODES

Image result for qr code on a chocolate bar


So I explained to her that a QR code is an abbreviation for quick response code. It was invented in 1994, by Denso Wave (a subsidiary that manufactures automatic identification products, industrial robots and programmable logic controllers). It is a trademark for a type of matrix bar code/2 dimensional barcode. Originally it was first invented for the automotive industry in Japan.

These days QR Codes are definitely not only used for its original purpose but it’s become very popular these days and an easily recognisable icon by many all over the world. A smartphone can even be used now as a scanner of the QR Codes and can easily display the information enlisted in the QR Code. It’s become very popular as an advertising strategy as it is a quicker way to access the brands website, than having to enter the brands URL address manually and personally it’s a more ingenious (like totally cool) manner as well.


1 comment: