Tuesday 2 May 2017

E-books


E-books as leisure


A recent class topic we had, was on e-books. The 'e' in e-books means 'electronic'. It basically refers to reading a book online, like on your laptop, smartphone, etc. It's more like an electronic version of a printed book.

So im my experience of downloading e-books from the internet to read has in some ways, been more disapointing than anything else. I would much have preferred the printed version.

A few years ago when I was pregnant with my second born. My husband's work had sent us on a camp in Franschoek. I was alone in the accomodation and I downloaded a book to read on my phone. So as to keep me busy and occupied. Somehow I came to regret this decison as by the time that this book had me entertained and interested. My phone died. For most of that weekend I was sitting next to the plug to keep my phone charged so that I could read the book (it was a 3 books series). I really enjoyed reading the book but I felt that I constantly had to keep my phone charged was a real challenge, in itself and not fun at all. As soon as I had to go somewhere, like the shop, the battery life on my phone would die. Then I needed to wait till I got back to charge my phone in order to continue reading.


 Image result for e books

 E-books in academic libraries

 However, I feel differently, about e-books as a resource in academic libraries. When one is handed an assignement, one is under pressure to complete it. So, having access to the computer and completing ones research via accessing the e-books online, really helps with getting a lot of more research done in less the time. Well that's just my opnion.

Personally I love the printed books. I love their smell and I love that it can be taken with you all over and you can open it and read it whenever and wherever your able to. Even read it when there is loadshedding.







3 comments:

  1. Nice blog Soemyha. It is true e-books is relevant for academic purposes. It is better hard copy because you don't have to worry about the battery of your phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disappointing hey? wait the next page is still loading or "ERROR" message.

    I also prefer a hard copy especially when reading for leisure,and E-books for academic purposes. I'm not saying E-books are bad, they both have advantages and disadvantages.

    Nice blog Maya

    ReplyDelete